Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Not Your Mama's Meatloaf

Not Your Mama's Meatloaf with red pepper and red wine.  

I know what you're thinking, "ugh! meatloaf?" To that I say, "Yes Meatloaf!!" This was the meatloaf that changed my mind.
I was never a big fan until a few weeks ago when my friend Marguerite made dinner for our neighborhood "girls night in". I believe it's the red pepper and the flavor from the turkey mixed with ground beef that gives this meatloaf a really delicious flavor. I am sure the red wine helps too which gives the sauce a robust deep flavor. I actually wanted to take leftovers home that night, I even shocked myself. I am not pretending to be a meatloaf expert but this was excellent!! I hope you give this one a try. 

Meatloaf with red pepper and red wine.


Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 pounds of meat: half ground turkey and half lean ground beef
  • 2/3 stalks of celery, chopped (about half a cup or a little more)
  • 1 medium red pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped 
  • 2 cups of dried seasoned bread crumbs 
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2 tsp of oregano
  • 2 tsp of basil
  • 1/2 cup olive oil for sauteing the vegetables
  • 2 cups of tomato sauce
  • 1-2 cups of red wine  

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  1. In a large frying pan, add olive oil and saute the onions, red pepper and onion. Add seasonings and saute on medium heat until soft. This will take about 15-20 minutes and let cool.  
  2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except tomato sauce and wine. 
  3. Shape mixture into 2 loaves and put in a 13x9-inch pan. 
  4. Pour the red wine over the top and than pour the tomato sauce over the top. 
  5. Bake for 45 minutes, uncovered. Baste with the sauce and pour a little more red wine if you need more liquid. Bake for another 15 minutes, until the thermometer reads at least 160°F. 

Saute celery, onion and red pepper. 

It will take about 15-20 minutes to soften the vegetables.

I divided the meatloaf into 2: one for the oven and the other for the freezer for an easy weeknight dinner.  

I use a dish with high sides but leaving plenty of room around the edges. This will allow the sides of the meatloaf to brown and get a little crusty.  If you use a use a loaf pan, the meatloaf will steam in itself. I forgot to add the red wine for this picture.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment