Before I start this blog post recipe, let me tell you that this is might tasty! I look for shortcuts in the kitchen, especially when I am making a late night dinner and want to prepare something quick and easy yet delicious and not out of a box. This recipe is for all my newbie cooks out there! This is my secret version of a light creamy alfredo sauce with savory portabello mushrooms and tomatoes. When I find a really good product like Newman's Own Alfredo Pasta Sauce, I like to keep it on hand for nights just like this since I don't always have cream on hand to make my own sauce. Add in fresh sauted vegetables and you have a delicious meal in minutes. I have also included my no-fail Quick Alfredo Sauce which is absolutely delicious.
- 1 9 ounce box of Atkins penne pasta (18g of fiber!)
- 2 large portabello mushroom caps, sliced thick
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp of garlic
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil or butter to saute the mushrooms
- 1 jar of Newman's Own Alfredo Pasta Sauce
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
1. Cook the pasta al dente, according to the package, drain and pour back into the pot.
2. In a saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter (or oil) and garlic. Add the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are almost done for about 3 minutes, add in the tomatoes for another minute.
3. To the pasta, add half a jar (or more!) of the Alfredo sauce and toss lightly. Add in the mushrooms and tomatoes and toss.
4. Serve immediately in individual serving bowls with little Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on the top.
Quick Alfredo Sauce from Scratch
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2. Off the heat, stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
3. Add to the pasta and add in a little of the pasta liquid if you need to.
Tip: This dish is delicious with shrimp or chicken added.