Friday, July 29, 2011

Penne Portabello in a Light Alfredo Sauce




Before I start this blog post recipe, let me tell you that this is might tasty!  I look for shortcuts in the kitchen, especially when I am making a late night dinner and want to prepare something quick and easy yet delicious and not out of a box. This recipe is for all my newbie cooks out there! This is my secret version of a light creamy alfredo sauce with savory portabello mushrooms and tomatoes. When I find a really good product like Newman's Own Alfredo Pasta Sauce, I like to keep it on hand for nights just like this since I don't always have cream on hand to make my own sauce. Add in fresh sauted vegetables and you have a delicious meal in minutes. I have also included my no-fail Quick Alfredo Sauce which is absolutely delicious. 


Ingredients
  • 1 9 ounce box of Atkins penne pasta (18g of fiber!)
  • 2 large portabello mushroom caps, sliced thick
  • 2 tomatoes, seeded and sliced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 tsp of garlic
  • 1 Tbsp of olive oil or butter to saute the mushrooms
  • 1 jar of Newman's Own Alfredo Pasta Sauce
  • 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated

1. Cook the pasta al dente, according to the package, drain and pour back into the pot.

2. In a saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter (or oil) and garlic. Add the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are almost done for about 3 minutes, add in the tomatoes for another minute. 

3. To the pasta, add half a jar (or more!) of the Alfredo sauce and toss lightly. Add in the mushrooms and tomatoes and toss. 

4. Serve immediately in individual serving bowls with little Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on the top.



Quick Alfredo Sauce from Scratch

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream 
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper 
  • 1/2 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano 
  • 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1. Bring 1 cup of the heavy cream and the butter to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until the mixture reduces to 2/3 cup, 12 to 15 minutes. 

2. Off the heat, stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

3. Add to the pasta and add in a little of the pasta liquid if you need to. 


Tip: This dish is delicious with shrimp or chicken added.

Enjoy!    




No comments:

Post a Comment