|Three Cheese Baked Ziti|
A Sunday supper at it's best! It's Fall and this is such a cozy, soothing casserole. It's creamy, cheesy, gooey, and oozy. It's as simple as putting together a sweet marinara sauce and pairing it with sharp parmesan and silky ricotta. A match made in heaven.
Since baked ziti only requires five key ingredients (ziti, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, and marinara sauce), the key to making it unique, is in the sauce and by adding a few of Nana's Meatballs to take it from good to superb. This is an easy dish to make without much fuss. I like to bake it in individual baking dishes.....for the comfort factor of course!
- 4-5 cups cooked pasta, penne or ziti with ridges
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups good marinara sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- pinch of red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked pasta, ricotta, beaten egg, marinara sauce, red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- In a shallow casserole dish (or individual casserole dishes) pour a little of the marinara sauce on the bottom (about 1/4 cup, just enough for a light coating on the bottom).
- Pour the pasta mixture in the dish and sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup parmesan, and sprinkle with parsley for added color. Add a few meatballs under the cheese if you desire!
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Best when eaten immediately and perfect with a leafy green salad and warm garlic bread.