|Pan Fried Onion Dip Recipe|
Yields 2 cups
- 2 large yellow onions
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp course salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
1. Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds and give a rough chop. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.)
2. Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-40 minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool completely.
3. Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on high until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.